211 W. Wacker Drive, Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60606




Chicago Personal Injury FAQs

Attorneys Answer Frequently Asked Questions About Car Crashes and Injury Cases in Cook County, Bronzeville, and Pullman

Those who have suffered serious injuries will often be left wondering about their options, including how they will be able to pay the costs related to their injury while covering their ongoing expenses. At Karchmar & Lambert, P.C., we strive to help personal injury victims address these concerns and determine the next steps they should take. We are here to answer your questions, and we will provide you with legal help and representation as you seek financial compensation for your damages.

What Steps Should I Take After Being Injured?

Following a car accident or another situation involving serious injuries, the most important thing is to make sure everyone affected is safe while providing emergency aid and treatment if necessary. In many cases, it is a good idea to call 911 and have emergency medical technicians come to the scene to provide medical care. A police officer may also be dispatched, and they may prepare and file a police report, which can provide important information that can be used to establish liability for your injuries. If possible, you will want to try to collect evidence, such as by taking photographs or getting the contact information of witnesses.

Even if you do not receive emergency medical treatment, you should see a doctor as soon as possible after being injured. This can identify any medical issues that may not have been immediately obvious while ensuring that you receive the proper care. You also need to speak to our attorneys to determine your legal options. We will look into the circumstances of your injury, gather evidence to show that another person or company was responsible, and contact insurance companies on your behalf when making a claim.

Who Can Be Held Liable for My Injuries?

Any person, company, or organization that acted negligently or intentionally and caused you harm may be held responsible for the injuries and damages you have suffered. A negligent driver may be liable for a car crash in which you were injured and your vehicle was damaged, or you may also be able to pursue compensation from the manufacturer of defective auto parts or a city government that did not take action to correct a dangerous road or intersection. If you were injured on someone else's property, including a private residence or a public place such as a mall or store, you can pursue compensation from a negligent property owner or the tenant who was in control of the property through a premises liability claim or lawsuit.

What Forms of Compensation Can I Receive?

You can pursue compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include any costs resulting from your injury or other ways your finances have been affected. This may include your immediate and ongoing medical expenses, past and future income loss, and the costs of repairing or replacing damaged property. Non-economic damages may include the physical and emotional pain and suffering you and your family have experienced, as well as the grief, sorrow, and loss of companionship that affect family members after a loved one's wrongful death.

What if I Was Partially at Fault for My Injury?

Under the comparative negligence laws in Illinois, you can pursue a personal injury lawsuit as long as you were 50% responsible for your injuries or less. The amount that you can recover in damages will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if a jury finds that you were 10% at fault for a car crash, and your total damages were $250,000, the amount you can recover from the other driver(s) will be reduced by $25,000.

Is There a Time Limit for My Case?

In Illinois, the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases is two years. This means that you must take legal action within two years after your injury occurred or within two years after you knew or should have known about your injury. In most cases involving claims against government organizations, such as injuries suffered in mass transit accidents, the statute of limitations is one year.

Contact a Chicago Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been injured, you will likely have many more questions about what you can do to protect your rights and the steps you should take to increase your chances of successfully recovering compensation. The lawyers of Karchmar & Lambert, P.C. will provide you with a free consultation in which we will answer any questions you have and help you determine the next steps that you will need to take. When you hire us, you will not be required to pay any legal fees unless we win your case and collect compensation from the parties who were liable for your injuries. To learn how we can help, contact us by calling 312-977-1300. We serve clients throughout Chicago, Cook County, and nearby areas, including but not limited to the neighborhoods of Garfield Park, Gresham, Chatham, Bronzeville, Pullman, Kenwood, Ashburn, Englewood, Austin, and South Shore.

Back to Top